What is rezoning?

The City has been divided into different types of zoning districts to make sure that people use their properties in a way that is compatible with the surrounding neighborhood and resources. What you may do with your property depends upon the zoning district in which your property is located.

In an R-1 district, for example, you may build a single-family home. If you have a use permit, you may also build certain other related structures such as a church, school or hospital. However, you may not build an industrial plant

Under certain conditions, you can have your property rezoned. Rezoning changes the uses you are permitted to make of your property.

Rezoning frequently is a very involved process. Certain rezoning requests may require that the City amend its General Plan.

How do I apply for a rezoning?

Your application may be prepared by a registered architect, registered civil engineer, licensed land surveyor, professional planner, or yourself and submitted to the Planning Department for review.  Your application must identify the property and describe the current zoning and use and its proposed zoning and use, the Assessor’s Parcel Number, and the name and address of the property owner and of the person making the application. Submit the following with your application:

  • A brief of written statement justifying your request.
  • Photographs of the property.
  • Proof of property ownership (grant deed).  If you do not own the property, submit evidence that the owner agrees with your request for rezoning.
  • A location map.
  • Site plans showing the existing use and proposed use of the property and a full plot plan showing everything that exists on the parcel (buildings and uses, parking area, driveways, well, septic system, setbacks, and lot dimensions) and proposed uses including signage, exterior lighting and landscaping.
  • Depending upon the nature of your project you may have to submit building elevations and floor plans.
  • A radius map showing all the parcels within 300 feet of your property and two stamped legal-size envelopes for each property identified.
  • Fees.

What happens after I apply?

The Planning Department will review your application and also refer it to various organizations ranging from state and local agencies to various departments within the City for review.  A project planner may visit the site.  The application is then scheduled for a public hearing by the Planning Commission, at which members of the public may appear to support, object to, or simply ask questions about your proposal. The Planning Department will announce the meeting by mailing notices to all owners of property within 300 feet of yours and by placing a notice in a local newspaper.

At the close of the public hearing, the Planning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council for their consideration. The City Council then schedules the hearing to consider the Planning Commis­sion’s recommendation and decides on your proposal. If approved, an ordinance is adopted with the first reading after the hearing, and a second reading normally at the City Council’s next regular meeting.  The rezoning becomes effective 30 days after the second reading of the zone change ordinance.

What effect will the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) have on my application?

An environmental review in accordance with the CEQA process and procedures will be required.

How long does the rezoning process take?

The process takes up to six months, depending upon the complexity of the application and the number of hearings required. The Planning Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month and their action is recommended and referred to the City Council who meet on the second Thursday of each month.

What fees must I pay?

You must pay an application fee. You will also be required to pay fees for preparation and processing the City environmental review, archaeological review by the Northeast Information Center and environmental review by the Department of Fish & Game, and a County Clerk fee for posting the environmental determination.

What’s the next step in this process?

Obtain a Rezone application packet from the Planning Department. The packet explains the general procedures for applying for a rezoning, fees, and other related matters. The application must be completed by a registered architect, registered civil engineer, licensed land surveyor, professional planner, or yourself and have notarized signature by the property owner or owners.

You should also review the section of the City Zoning Ordinance that regulates the uses permitted in the zone in which your project is located (a Planner can help you identify which section of the ordinance you need). After you have become familiar with these documents, we recommend you prepare some very preliminary plans and bring them to the Planning Department counter so that staff can review them.

If you are new to Weed or unfamiliar with the permit system you may also wish to make an appointment to meet with staff who can explain the rezone process, the different agencies involved and the various costs and requirements. Schedule your Pre Application Meeting by calling (530) 938-5020.